This full time position will be based in Jordan, with travel to Istanbul, Turkey.
Mayday Rescue is a new organisation that provides capacity to local communities in conflict environments. We bring international expertise in search, rescue and recovery to vulnerable people in the most dangerous, difficult and challenging places in the world. We work with communities that are entering, enduring or emerging from conflict.
Locally, nationally and internationally, Mayday Rescue provides hope and help for vulnerable communities in conflict by training and equipping local groups to prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of war.
Since late 2012, volunteer groups have self-formed to respond to and recover from attacks against the Syrian Civilian population. As at November 2014, 2,087 volunteer rescue workers work from 88 Civil Defence centers, serving a population of 6,100,000 Syrian civilians. Their operations have saved the lives of 10,221. See USAR in Conditions of War, CRJ 10:1 and Syria's Civil Defence: Bringing Hope to Beleaguered Citizens (CRJ Blog)
Scope of Work:
The Operations Director will manage operational support to volunteer Syria Civil Defence groups in southern Syria, from an operating base in Jordan. The Operations Director will set up, plan and deliver these activities, which will include basic office set up, coordination with Istanbul head office and teams inside Syria, and procurement, logistics and delivery for training and equipment for activities conducted in Jordan. The Operations Director will be the senior staff member in Jordan with management responsibilities for a team of three. The post reports to the Director of Mayday Rescue (Istanbul-based). Significant liaison and coordination with the Host Government and donor governments/clients will be required.
Terms of Reference.
- Plan and deliver activities and equipment for beneficiary partners.
- Co-ordinate closely with the Host Government and Donor Government(s) for the delivery of these activities.
- Manage and inspire a team of three staff members.
- Collaborate with other implementing partners and actively seek effective co-ordination between programmes.
- Deliver training and support activities that result in more effective life saving operations by southern Syria-based Civil Defence teams.
- Operate the Mayday (Jordan) office in full compliance with Host Government applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure the operations and activities of the office are fully integrated within the overall donor support framework and with the Mayday Rescue HQ.
- Daily, weekly and monthly verbal and written operational reporting to Mayday, Host Government and to Donor Governments.
- Daily, weekly and monthly financial and administrative reporting to Mayday administrative and finance staff.
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE:
- Manage and maintain Mayday (Jordan) office documentation (Management, operations, logistics/inventory, compliance and audit).
- Accountable for Country operations budget, following Mayday financial and compliance standard operating procedures.
- Proven manager with excellent interpersonal skills and confidence, humour and patience.
- Experience (or demonstrated interest) in the protection of civilian communities in war, urban search and rescue, emergency response or associated disciplines.
- Proven ability to work independently, with limited direction and to be able to manage all aspects of project set up.
- Understanding of government contracting requirements and operating environment.
- Demonstration of a strong collaborative and consultative approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Degree level education.
- A minimum of three years working in an international environment (strong preference will be given to Middle East experience).
- Excellent English (written and spoken) essential.
- Arabic (preferred).
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying, please email a CV and covering letter to Mary Canbezdi at Mary@Maydayrescue.org. The covering letter is to include why you are interested in working with Mayday and how your experience and interests match with Mayday’s work. A statement of salary expectations is required.
Please include ‘Operations Manager – Jordan’ in the subject line. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates only will be contacted for interview.
Closing date: 5th December.
Start date: 5th January 2015 (subject to negotiations).