FireNet Community
September 19, 2018, 06:05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It is with deep regret that the Webmaster, Colin Simpson, and I have to inform the forum that Alan Kurnatowski (Kurnal) passed away on the 17th April.
Colin T & Colin S have provided an obituary in the fire safety forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slipping standards!!!!!  (Read 133 times)
Dinnertime Dave

« on: September 14, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »

New job and new responsibilities.

Managed to get out of social housing and moved into retail.  Part of the role includes checking plans for new shop design for compliance. The first batch of 10 arrive, 4 of these are in shopping centres with a rear exit on a shared service corridor. Oh, one of the shops is in Scotland.

The shops are over 25 square metres with no alternative exit from the retail area. (The Scottish shop does)
None of the shops have lobbied rear exit into the shared service corridor. (The Scottish shop does)
Fire alarms not linked to the centre managerment suite. (Yes, you guess it the Scottish shop is).

Made my comments and the AI covering the English shops reply is "They don't need any of those provisions as they have sprinklers! Also, the fire service didn't say they were needed.

Outcome - New employer thinks I haven't got a clue.  
Question - Have standard slipped so far in the last 4 years?

colin todd

Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »

Yes but not in Scotland.

Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates
nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »

New job and new responsibilities.

Managed to get out of social housing and moved into retail.  Part of the role includes checking plans for new shop design for compliance. The first batch of 10 arrive, 4 of these are in shopping centres with a rear exit on a shared service corridor. Oh, one of the shops is in Scotland.

The shops are over 25 square metres with no alternative exit from the retail area. (The Scottish shop does)
None of the shops have lobbied rear exit into the shared service corridor. (The Scottish shop does)
Fire alarms not linked to the centre managerment suite. (Yes, you guess it the Scottish shop is).

Made my comments and the AI covering the English shops reply is "They don't need any of those provisions as they have sprinklers! Also, the fire service didn't say they were needed.

Outcome - New employer thinks I haven't got a clue.  
Question - Have standard slipped so far in the last 4 years?

The standards haven't slipped. Those who don't use them have.

We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.
lyledunn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »

Does Building Control in Scotland recognise BS9999 2017 as a means of compliance with their Building Regulations?
Fishy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:49 AM »

Does Building Control in Scotland recognise BS9999 2017 as a means of compliance with their Building Regulations?

Reluctantly, in my experience...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: