FireNet Community
November 19, 2017, 10:19:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It is with deep regret that the Webmaster, Colin Simpson, and I have to inform the forum that Alan Kurnatowski (Kurnal) passed away on the 17th April.
Colin T & Colin S have provided an obituary in the fire safety forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linear Acceleration units in Cancer Treatment centres  (Read 190 times)
paul1969

« on: November 02, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »

I?ve recently been to a Cancer Centre where they have a Linac bunker.  But, unlike the normal maze style linac areas I?ve been used to seeing in the past, which are all nicely compartmented away, this one is an open plan style with two huge [what appear to be concrete or steel] doors [approximately 2ft thick] which are operated with electronic power mechanisms. The doors cannot be opened by human hand!

I?m no doctor?but assume these doors are specifically designed for radiation reasons, rather than fire.

The linac in question is not directly along a means of escape. So, if the linac catches fire, occupants can turn away and head towards an alternate escape exit.  It?s in more of a circulation area I?d say.

Should it be compartmented away?

Not seen one of these before in my limited experience of health care premises so just wondered what the experts think!?  Sounds silly, but does it need extra smoke controls as whilst the doors will clearly hold the flames back, I?ve no idea if they?d hold back smoke/toxic fumes, etc.

Any guidance or pointing in right direction is always appreciated.
Fire Monkey

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »

Do they have cold smoke seals? What size are the door stops?

Presumably such a room would have to be vented - are there dampers in the ventilation system?

Such a door may contain a thick panel of polyethylene.

Would there be any risk to fire fighters should such a room be 'exposed' as a result of a fire?

What sort of power requirements does this equipment have?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: